If you are a new dog owner, you may be concerned about whether you can take care of a dog. After all, a new dog is a big responsibility. Luckily, it is not really that difficult to take care of a dog. If you just keep these simple tips in mind,
you and your new dog will have a successful and happy relationship.
1. Visit the vet - Dogs need to have a yearly physical and updated vaccines, just as people do. In fact, since dogs age more quickly than people, it is best to take your dog to the vet every six months for a quick physical. If your vet sees your dog regularly, he may be able to spot changes in your dog that signal illness or disease.
2. Train your dog - A well behaved dog is welcome almost anywhere. Make sure other people can enjoy your dog's company by teaching him good manners. If you are unsure about how to train your dog, take an obedience class so you can learn together. Teaching your dog to sit, stay, heel and come is very important. If he ever starts to run into the street, these commands could even save his life.
3. Feed your dog right - Feeding your dog the right food can keep him active and healthy for many years. Feeding him a cheap dog food may save you money today, but may cost more money in the long run. Veterinary care for obese or diabetic dogs can be very expensive.
4. Remember to neuter your dog - Unless your dog is an exceptional representative of his breed, please neuter him. This is one of the most important ways to take care of your dog, since neutering a dog at six months of age can prevent many common dog cancers.
5. Groom your dog - Dogs feel better when they are well groomed, just as people do. Brush your dog regularly, even if he has a short coat. Trim his nails or ask your vet to trim them so that he can walk comfortably. You can even brush his teeth with a special dog brush and toothpaste to be sure he doesn't develop dental problems.
Finally, don't forget to give your dog plenty of love and attention. If you follow these tips on how to take care of a dog, you and your new pal will be well on the way to a happy and successful relationship.